This recipe is perfect for the lazy cook, since all preparation can be done the previous day. The slightly smoky taste compliments the nuttiness of the artichoke and no dip is necessary, although some might want to use additional marinade for dipping.
- 4 large artichokes
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 T minced ginger
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Slice artichoke tops off, crosswise. Trim Stems.
- Boil or steam artichokes until bottoms pierce easily, or a petal pulls off easily.
- Drain artichokes. Cool.
- Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise and scrape out fuzzy center and any purple tipped petals.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large plastic bag. Place artichokes in the bag and coat all sides of the artichokes. For best flavor marinate in the mixture overnight in the refrigerator but should marinate at least one hour.
- Drain artichokes.
- Place cut side down on a grill over a solid bed of medium coals or gas grill on medium. Grill until lightly browned on the cut side, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn artichokes over and drizzle some of the remaining marinade over the artichokes.
- Grill until petal tips are lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Serve hot or room temperature
Yield: 8 servings, ½ artichoke each.