- 4 medium California artichokes, prepared and cooked as directed for whole artichokes
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz) reduced sodium garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp thinly sliced green olives
- 1/4 tsp crushed, dried oregano
- Drain garbanzo beans, reserving 6 tbsp of liquid.
- In blender or food processor, place garbanzo beans, reserved liquid, lemon juice, and garlic. Cover and process until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the lemon peel, parsley, green onions and oregano.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups, serves 4 as a dip with artichokes.
Nutritional Information: 212 Calories; 11g Protein; 37g Carbohydrates; 4g Fat; 17% Calories from fat; 2% Calories from saturated fat; 124mg Sodium; 0mg Cholesterol; 8g Dietary fiber.
Courtesy California Artichoke Advisory Board