Copy Protected by Chetans WP-Copyprotect.
French Fried Artichoke Hearts
- 1 cup fish batter mix
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup beer
- 2 pounds baby artichokes, prepared as directed and quartered*
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- solid all vegetable shortening for frying, about 1 inch deep
Courtesy California Artichoke Advisory Board
- Heat shortening to 350°F.
- Mix together the batter mix, baking powder, water and beer.
- Dip artichokes in batter mix, then roll in bread crumbs mixed with Parmesan cheese.
- Fry 2 or 3 minutes or until light golden brown.
*For preparation of baby artichokes, see the directions and photos under Basic Preparation. Trim to hearts, quarter, and place in water with lemon juice to prevent browning. Drain well before dipping in batter.