Baby Artichoke Calvados Saute
- 10 pounds California artichokes, small 4 to 5 per serving, depending on size
- 6 pounds Pork loin scallops
- 1 pound, 8 oz Clarified butter
- 3 pounds Apple slices with peel, bite size
- 10 ounces Green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 4 tbsp Sage leaves, chopped
- 12 ounces Calvados or apple brandy
- Chicken stock as needed
- Salt to taste
- Sage springs as garnish
- Wash artichokes.
- Remove outer leaves from baby artichokes until pale green leaves appear; trim stems and top quarter.Cut into halves and dip in acidified water to preserve color. Set aside.
- Sauté 4 ounces pork scallops in 1 ounce butter until lightly browned; remove from pan and hold warm.
- Place 8 to 10 artichokes halves in pan and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add apples and cook until just tender. Add onions, garlic, sage and Calvados; toss together 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock to moisten. Season to taste with salt.
- Arrange pork scallops on heated serving plate with Baby Artichoke Calvados Sauté. Garnish with sage sprig.
Yield: Makes 24 servings.
Courtesy California Artichoke Advisory Board