- 4 medium California artichokes
- 4 slices (¼-inch thick)
- 4 eggs
- Hollandaise Sauce
(for recipe, see right)
- Prepare and cook artichokes as directed for Whole Artichokes (see Basic Preparation).
- Brown Canadian bacon slices in skillet.
- Poach eggs in boiling, salted water.
- Spread leaves of artichoke open like flower petals.
- Remove center petals and fuzzy centers from artichokes and discard.
- Place bacon slices into artichoke centers, covering bottom, and top with poached eggs.
- Spoon on Hollandaise Sauce and serve immediately.
Yield: Makes 4 servings.
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup firm cold butter, cut into eighths
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- dash ground red pepper
- In small saucepan, heat together egg yolks, water and lemon juice.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until yolk mixture bubbles at edges.
- Stir in butter, 1 piece at a time, until melted and sauce is thickened.
- Stir paprika, red pepper and salt to taste.
- Remove from heat. Serve warm.
- Cover and chill if not used immediately.
Yield: Makes about ¾ cup