Artichoke Hors D’oeuvre with Sweet Anise and Chick Pea Dip
- 24 (#36 count) Medium California artichokes
- 1 pound Sweet anise bulb
- ¾ cup Olive oil
- ¾ cup Lemon juice
- 2 cups Cooked chick peas
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- Cut off stems and snap off first few small leaves. Slice through tips, if desired. Trim dark green from bottom.
- Plunge into acidified water to prevent discoloration.
- Cook by preferred method. Drain.
- Separate leaves from bottom, discarding any purple or thorny center leaves; set aside. Remove fuzzy center from bottom; set aside.
- Trim sweet anise; slice thinly.
- Combine olive oil and lemon juice in a non-reactive pan.
- Braise sweet anise, tightly covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very tender for about 30 minutes.
- Arrange prepared artichoke bottoms on top of braising sweet anise.
- Cover; heat artichokes through, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of water, as needed to keep food moist.
- Remove artichoke bottoms from pan. Hold warm.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cooked sweet anise, chick peas, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Fill center of cooked artichoke bottom with a few tablespoons of the chick pea puree. Arrange cooked artichoke leaves around center.
Yield: Makes 24 servings.
Courtesy California Artichoke Advisory Board