An approved California 5 a Day recipe created with adult tastes in mind.
- 4 medium California artichokes
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Wash artichokes under cold running water.
- Cut off stem at base; remove small bottom leaves. If desired, trim tips of leaves and cut off top two inches.
- Stand artichokes upright in deep, nonreactive saucepan large enough to hold snugly.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and two to three inches boiling water.
- Cover and boil gently 35 to 45 minutes or until base can be pierced easily with a fork. (Add a little more boiling water, if needed.)
- Turn artichokes upside down to drain.
- Serve immediately or cool completely; cover and refrigerate to chill.
- Makes 4 artichokes.
- Combine light mayonnaise, honey, mustard and lemon juice; mix well. Makes about 1/2 cup.
Yield: Makes 4 servings.
Courtesy California Artichoke Advisory Board