Artichoke Roman Style
- 4 (#24 or #18) large size California artichokes
- 1 Lemon, cut in half
- Coarse salt to taste
- ¼ cup (OR 1 tablespoon dried) Fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- ½ cup Olive oil, divided
- Wash artichokes; remove outer leaves until pale yellow leaves are exposed.
- Cut off top two inches and stems so artichokes will sit upright. Remove fuzzy centers and rub all surfaces with half of lemon.
- Add juice of remaining lemon to water and dip artichokes to preserve green color.
- Mix mint and garlic with ¼ cup olive oil and spoon into hollows of artichokes.
- Place in pan just large enough to hold them upright.
- Add water to depth of three inches, remaining olive oil and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes or until just tender. Cooking will vary with size of artichokes.
- Remove artichokes, drain and hold warm.
- Reduce cooking liquid until of a syrupy consistency. Spoon sauce over artichokes and serve.
Yield: Makes 4 servings.
Courtesy California Artichoke Advisory Board