Using bread crumbs and herbs to stuff artichokes for special occasions is a festive Italian tradition. Focaccia is a savory bread popular in Liguria.
- 4 large California artichokes
- 2 cups focaccia or herbed bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Wash artichokes under cold running water, cut off stems at base and remove small bottom leaves.
- Cut off top quarter of artichokes; discard.
- Spread leaves, remove center leaves and fuzzy centers with a spoon and discard.
- Toss bread crumbs with cheese, olive oil, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff bread crumb mixture between leaves of artichokes and fill centers. Place stuffed artichokes in a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Pour 2 cups boiling water around the artichokes. Cover with lid or foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes or until artichokes are tender.
- Remove artichokes from baking dish and place on rack; cool to room temperature.
Yield: Makes 4 servings.
Courtesy California Artichoke Advisory Board