- 1½ cups White rice, long grain
- 2 gallons Chicken or vegetable broth
- 24 medium to large California artichokes with stems, cooked
- 16 Eggs
- 1 cup Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, simmer rice in broth about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Remove petals and fuzzy centers from cooked artichokes; cut bottoms into ¼ inch dice.
- When rice is done, add diced artichokes to broth.
- Beat together eggs and lemon juice.
- Slowly whisk ⅓ of hot broth mixture into egg mixture, then pour back into saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until soup thickens slightly. DO NOT BOIL ONCE EGGS HAVE BEEN ADDED OR SOUP WILL SEPARATE.
- Season with salt and pepper and more lemon juice, if desired.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories: 155; Protein: 11.8g; Fat: 4.1g (23% calories from fat); Carbohydrate: 18.9g; Cholesterol: 107mg; Dietary fiber: 3.1g; Sodium: 894 mg.
Yield: Makes 24 servings.
Courtesy California Artichoke Advisory Board