An approved California 5 a Day recipe created with adult tastes in mind.
- 8 medium California artichokes, prepared and cooked as directed for whole artichokes
- 4 red bell peppers
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- ½ cup sliced ripe olives
Ingredients Roasted Red Pepper Dressing:
- 1 roasted red bell pepper (reserved from salad preparation)
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup white wine or cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil*
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary*
- 1 tsp sugar
- Halve cooked artichokes lengthwise; scoop out center petals and fuzzy centers. Remove outer leaves and reserve to garnish salad; or refrigerate to use for snacks another time. Thinly slice hearts. Cover; set aside.
- Place whole bell peppers under preheated broiler; broil under high heat until charred on all sides, turning frequently with tongs. Carefully remove from oven with tongs; place in a paper bag for 15 minutes to steam skins. Carefully remove peppers from bag; remove seeds and ribs. Strip off skins; slice peppers into julienne strips.
- Prepare Dressing: In blender or food processor container, place ¼ of the bell pepper strips, vinegars, garlic, basil, rosemary and sugar. Cover and process until well blended and nearly smooth.
- Assemble Salads: Arrange reserved cooked artichoke leaves or lettuce leaves on 8 salad plates. Arrange sliced artichoke hearts, remaining ¾ of the bell pepper strips, red onion and olive slices on artichoke or lettuce leaves.
- Spoon dressing over salads.
*NOTE: If fresh basil and rosemary are unavailable, substitute 1 teaspoon crushed, dried basil; and ½ teaspoon crushed dried rosemary.
Serving Suggestion: Chill dressing: Arrange salad; cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours ahead. Spoon dressing over salads just before serving.
Yield: Makes 8 salads.
Nutrients Per Serving: Calories 88; Protein 4.7 g; Carbohydrate 19 g; Fat 1 g; Calories from fat 12%; Calories from saturated fat 2%; Sodium 189 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Dietary fiber 5 g.
Courtesy California Artichoke Advisory Board