- 4 California Artichokes
- Selection of Dips (see below; for more click here)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2″ to 3″ boiling water
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Herbs (optional)
- Garlic powder (optional)
- Onion powder (optional)
- Wash artichokes under cold running water.
- Cut off stems at base and remove small bottom leaves.
- Stand artichokes upright in deep saucepan large enough to hold snugly.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and two to three inches boiling water. (Lemon juice, herbs, garlic powder or onion powder may be added, if desired.)
- Cover and boil gently 35 to 45 minutes or until base can be pierced easily with fork. (Add a little more boiling water, if needed.)
- Turn artichokes upside down to drain.
- Cool completely; cover and refrigerate to chill.
Yield: Makes 4 artichokes.